- A native of tropical and sub-tropical America, this grass was introduced to Queensland as a ponded pasture. It has now invaded seasonally flooded areas, swamps, lakeshores and along rivers.
- Grows in water to 1 m deep.
- Most reproduction is vegetative as seed production is poor.
- An aquatic or semi-aquatic perennial grass, 1-2.5 m high.
- Stems coarse, thick in the lower parts, arising from long runners that develop roots.
- Leaves flat, smooth, tapering towards apex, 20 60 cm long, 1 1.5 cm wide, with rough edges.
- Flower head is 15-25 cm long.
Currently not declared however under the Biosecurity Act 2014 you still have an obligation to prevent or minimise a biosecurity risk posed by a pest.