- Disturbed and cultivated areas, such as roadsides, vacant allotments, heavily grazed pastures, crops and lawns
- It grows on a wide variety of soils, and can stand considerable shading
- A low sprawling, perennial plant growing about 15-45cm high
- Its round, often woody stems are reddish brown or purple and have short, curved prickles
- Leaves are dark green, feather-shaped and sensitive to touch
- Flowers are pale pink or purplish in fluffy balls, about 1cm across
- Seed pods 2-3cm long with stiff bristles along edges
Currently not declared however under the Biosecurity Act 2014 you still have an obligation to prevent or minimise a biosecurity risk posed by a pest.