- A garden escapee that colonises disturbed areas, roadsides, camping grounds, overgrazed sites and along levee banks of creeks.
- Erect annual herb to 3 meters high covered with short white hairs.
- Stems are quadrangular often grooved.
- Leaves opposite, with toothed edges.
- Flowers orange and velvety in 2-4 round spiky clusters along the upper stem, and form hard spiky balls when mature.
- Seeds are very small, many, and triangular.
Currently not declared however under the Biosecurity Act 2014 you still have an obligation to prevent or minimise a biosecurity risk posed by a pest.