- Occupies young tropical forests
- It can be found as high as 2000 meters in elevation but also threatens lower elevations that receive high average rainfall of 1800-2100mm.
- An evergreen tree that can grow up to 15 meters high.
- Its large (60-70cm long) attractive leaves are dark green above and purple underneath, with three prominent veins on each leaf.
- Flowering and fruiting begin after 4-5 years.
- Flowers are numerous, sweet-scented, white to pink in colour, and are short-lived (12-24hrs after opening)
- Fruit are dark purple and about 10-15mm in diameter.
Currently not declared however under the Biosecurity Act 2014 you still have an obligation to prevent or minimise a biosecurity risk posed by a pest.