- A plant of hot, wet, open situations although it will grow in drier soils.
- Locally, it has been found in paddocks amongst improved pastures and on roadsides.
- Grows in thick grass-like clumps, usually 30-60 cm high.
- Stems are triangular
- Leaves are tufted. Each tuft carries a triangular flowering stem.
- Seeds head is knob-like and surrounded by 6 leaf-like bracts, three of these bracts are usually long, up to 12 cm in length, and the other 3 are shorter.
- Immature seed head is green, and become brown when mature.
- Plant has a rhizome at its base.
Currently not declared however under the Biosecurity Act 2014 you still have an obligation to prevent or minimise a biosecurity risk posed by a pest.